All visitors to Australia must obtain a visa or Electronic Travel Authority in advance to be granted entry. This page lists important information you may need to know regarding your Australian visa application. Please review the following information carefully:

  1. Visa Info - General information and the most commonly asked questions
  2. Visa Requirements - Understand what is required for an ETA visa
  3. Visa Eligibility - Check your eligibility to apply for an ETA Visa 
  4. Travel Information - Information related to travel an your ETA visa
You can apply for an electronic Australian ETA visa online, if:

  • You are from an ETA eligible country
  • You are outside of Australia at the time of applying;
  • Your visit to Australia is either for tourism, visiting friends or relatives, or short-term business needs;


  • You must have had no major criminal convictions, in which you served more than 1 year in jail;
  • You must be free of tuberculosis at the time of travel into, and within, Australia;
  • You must not work while in Australia;
  • Your passport must be valid for 6 months from the day you enter Australia.
Austria Belgium Brunei
Canada Denmark Finland
France Germany Greece
Hong Kong (SAR of China) Iceland Ireland
Italy Japan Liechtenstein
Luxembourg Malaysia Malta
Monaco Norway Portugal
Singapore South Korea Spain
Sweden Switzerland The Netherlands
UK—British Citizen United States Vatican City

If your nationality is not listed, you will need to contact an Australian embassy or the Department of Immigration to obtain your visa. *British protected persons, British subjects, and British overseas citizens should apply for a subclass 600 visa, and are not eligible for an ETA at this time.


Conditions of an ETA are:

  • You can enter Australia as many times as you want during a 12 month period from the date the ETA is granted or until the expiry date of your passport, whichever is earlier.
  • You can stay in Australia for a maximum of three months on each visit.
  • You must not work while in Australia. You can undertake business visitor activities (undertaking of business enquiries and contractual negotiations, and attending conferences).
  • You must not study for more than three months.
  • You must be free from tuberculosis.
  • You must not have any criminal convictions for which you have been sentenced for a total combined period of 12 months or more, whether or not the sentence/s were served.

You can apply for an ETA if you are traveling to Australia as a tourist, or for business purposes.

Tourist activities include holidays, recreation or seeing family and friends. Business visitor activities include:

  • making general business or employment enquiries
  • investigating, negotiating, signing or reviewing a business contract
  • activities carried out as part of an official government-to-government visit
  • participating in conferences, trade fairs or seminars, as long as you are not being paid by the organisers for your participation.

Business activities do not include short-term work. If you want to work in Australia, you can apply for a Temporary Work (Short Stay Activity) visa (Subclass 400).

To apply for an ETA online you must be outside Australia and intend to visit for tourism or business visitor activities. You must have your passport, email address and a credit / debit card to complete the online application. The details you provide in your online ETA application need to be exactly the same as they appear in your passport and you must use the same passport that is linked to your online ETA application when you travel. Anyone who arrives in Australia without a valid travel document, visa or authority can be refused entry to or delayed until their identity and claims to enter Australia have been confirmed.

Australian Tourist Visa

Valid for leisure / tourism related travel
Valid for maximum 90 day visits to Australia
Multiple entry allowed (12 month validity)
24hr Turnaround on all applications
NOT valid for paid employment or extended study

Australian Business Visa

Valid for Business / Meeting / Conference travel
Valid for maximum 90 day visits to Australia
Multiple entry allowed (12 month validity)
24hr Turnaround on all applications
NOT valid for paid employment or extended study


What is an electronic ETA visa?
An Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) provides authorization to travel to and enter Australia and is electronically linked to your passport. It is for short term stays for tourism or business visitor activities. Business visitor activities do not include work. If you want to do short-term, highly specialized, non-​ongoing work in Australia, you can apply for a Temporary Work (Short Stay Activity) visa (Subclass 400).
When should you apply for an Australian visa?
You should apply no later than 24 hours in advance of your departure. On occasion, some people are not approved to enter Australia and they must contact an Australian embassy. 
Which Visa do you need for Australia?
The visa you need to visit Australia depends on your travel purpose, how long you intend visiting the country and whether you plan on working. If you plan on working in the country, then you will need to either contact an Australian embassy or an agency that specifically handles work visas. If you are visiting Australia for tourism, and your trip is 3 months or less, you may apply for a tourist subclass 601 visa (ETA). If you intend on visiting for basic non-working business needs then you are required to purchase a business subclass 601 visa (ETA). Both visas are available online through
Do I need an Australian Visa (ETA)?
An ETA is required for people who want to visit Australia for tourism or business purposes. Many nationalities are eligible for this electronic visa. Please see our list of ETA nationalities on the ‘ETA Eligible Countries’ tab on this page. Should your nationality not be listed, you will need to contact your nearest Australian embassy or the Australian Department of Immigration for alternate visa options.
How much is an Australian ETA Visa?
  • Tourist Visa (ETA 601-T): $20 USD (or your currency equivalent).
  • Business Visa (ETA 601-B): $30 USD (or your currency equivalent).
  • Expedited Processing (1 hour): $50 USD per applicant

***No taxes, fees, or surcharges apply.

How long does Visa processing take?
Visas are typically processed and approved within a few hours. This is dependent on your time zone and the time of day the application is submitted, it can take up to a maximum 24 hours.
Expedited processing is available for a surcharge of $50USD per applicant, you will receive an answer in under 1 hour.


What if I have a criminal conviction?
You must not have any criminal convictions for which the sentence or sentences (whether served or not) are for a total period of 12 months duration or more at the time of travel to Australia. If you do have criminal convictions, then you must apply for a subclass 600 tourist visaApply Here.
How much validity does my Passport need?
All visitors require at least 6 months validity on their passport. If you passport is about to expire (within 6 months), you should check with an Australian embassy to see if you are still allowed to visit the country. You may need to obtain a new passport prior to traveling to Australia. An ETA is valid for 12 months from the date it is granted or the expiry date of your passport, whichever comes first. Note: You will need to apply for a new Australian Visa if your passport expires and you are issued a new passport.
Can I choose which date my visa will be active?
No. Once your ETA Visa is issued it will be active and valid for 12 months. Your 3 month visit will need to begin within that 12 month period. It does not matter how far in advance you apply for your ETA visa, so long as you plan on entering Australia within 12 months of your application date.
Can I work in Australia on my ETA visa?
No. You must visit an Australian consulate or embassy to see about obtaining a visa which allows employment in Australia. Apply Here


Can I stay in Australia past the date on my ETA confirmation?
Yes, you may stay beyond the expiration date listed on your ETA visa, however you may not stay longer than 3 months in Australia at any one time. You must enter the country of Australia by the date listed on your visa, otherwise, a new visa is required.
Do I have a current visa?
Visas are valid for 12 months from the date they are issued. If you are uncertain if you already have an existing visa, then you can apply for a new ETA, as a new request for a visa will override any existing 3-month tourist or business ETA visa. Note: If your existing visa is a long-term visa (6-12 months+), a work visa, a student visa, or any other visa which permits more than 3 months of tourist activity, then an ETA will not override your existing visa.
Where is my ETA expiration date listed?
You can find the expiration date on the visa approval email confirmation. Listed in the upper half of the visa approval, it will say “Authority to Enter Australia Until… That date listed is the last day in which you can enter Australia. Once you have entered Australia, you may stay for 3 months, even if it stretches beyond this expiration date.
I have a new passport, do I need a new Visa?

Yes, anytime a new passport is issued to you, whether your visa was lost, stolen, or expired, a new visa needs to be issued.

Amendments cannot be made to existing visas to accommodate the new passport. 


Do I need a confirmed air ticket to purchase my ETA?
No. You are not required to have booked your transportation into the country before applying for an ETA. It is okay to apply for your ETA anytime before or after your flights are confirmed. Please apply for your ETA Visa a minimum of 24hrs prior to departure to allow for processing.
Will the airline know if I have an approved ETA?
Airlines, travel agents, cruise companies, and immigration officials all have similar systems which allow them to run an inquiry on your visa status. Once you are approved by response from this website, all of your name and passport information will then be active and valid in the Electronic Travel Authority immigration system. The airline or cruise company will then swipe your passport at check-in, electronically verifying your visa status in the ETA system.
Will I need an ETA to transit through Australia?
If your stay in Australia is longer than 72 hours, you will need to apply for a tourist visa (ETA). If you are simply transiting through the airport, you do not need a transit visa. Please visit the Australian Department of Immigration website, which lists more transit visa information.
Do children and Infants require ETA Visa's?
Yes. Children of all ages, who are traveling with you, will need to obtain a visa.
Can I leave and return to Australia using the same ETA?
An ETA allows multiple trips into Australia, so long as the maximum stay on any given visit is less than 3 months, or 90 days. If you leave for another country, then you may return to Australia as long as your ETA and passport are still valid. However, It is up to immigration officials to determine if you are trying to manipulate the system, so we recommend contacting an embassy if you are concerned with returning too soon. A general guideline is you need to be out of the country for 2+ weeks before returning, otherwise you may look into obtaining a subclass 600 visa instead of an ETA, which may permit you to stay longer in Australia. Apply Here
Can I stay in Australia longer than 3 months?
You will need to apply for a visa which allows for a longer stay (6-12 months) from your nearest Australian migrant office. A Tourist Visa (subclass 600) may be a good alternative if you plan on staying longer than 90 days in the country, but you will have to pay a higher premium. If you think it’s unlikely that you will stay in the country longer than 3 months, then you can also start with an ETA, then apply for a Tourist Visa extension (subclass 600) and extend your stay while in Australia. Just keep in mind that pricing and rules are subject to change.
Translate »